Thursday, October 27, 2005

Work for the Blind

Since I was born without sight, finding a job has always been a challenge and a concern for me. I must add however that I have always had a job, and considered this a great blessing. The challenge comes in selling the employer on the idea of hiring a person without sight. I believe that many employers are hesitant to bring up questions they might have; therefore, the interview process wouldn’t be open and honest. For this reason, after a few failed interviews, I brought up the questions myself. After that, I was quite successful.

It concerns me that so many highly qualified blind workers are still without jobs. I wish that a job fair could be held; where members of industry could meet and talk with blind people who have been successful in the work place. It would be a joy for all involved to make a difference in the lives of those who need help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home