Monday, November 14, 2005

Contests:

I love contests! I have entered many through the years, and have had more than my share of success. I have participated by telephone, mail and email.

There is one type of contest however, with which I am not comfortable; that is, the food eating contest. For example, contestants determine how many hot dogs they can consume in fifteen minutes. The thought that troubles me regarding this type of contest is that while this food is being eaten by the contestants, others in the world are going hungry. I readily admit that the amount of food involved is tremendously small, and the number of people is so great who remain hungry. You might ask, “Then, why all the fuss?” In reply I quote an old saying I heard many years ago. “It’s better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home