Saturday, July 15, 2006

Thinking Back

It’s interesting to me to consider the differences in musical taste from one generation to another. I believe that young people between the ages of ten and twenty, try to establish something which is uniquely theirs. When I was twelve, I became fascinated with the inspiring, uplifting music of Spike Jones and his City Slickers. What a group that was! They certainly appealed to my twelve-year-old mind with such things as the sound of gun shots, screams, burps and other boyish sounds. As I think back, it’s amazing that this group even had a radio show on a national network for quite some time.

My parents and older sister even took me to a concert when the orchestra came to Columbus. My sister (bless her) even arranged for me to go back stage and meet Spike Jones himself. He was very kind to me, and even allowed me to play the piano for him. He presented me with a gold spike with the word “Jones” engraved on the head. This small act of kindness on his part meant so much to me at the time. It’s wonderful how far a small act of kindness can go.

1 Comments:

Blogger JollyRollie said...

BudPundit: No, but I tried it on royalty; the spike turned blue!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home