Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I give you my word!

I hope you like this story as I did. Two history students were curious to know whether the story was true about General George Washington throwing a silver dollar across the Delaware. They decided to reenact that famous moment. One of the boys threw a silver dollar as far as he could; unfortunately, it didn’t land on the other side of the river. In fact, it only made it about half way before sinking into the water. Of course, the moral of the story is: a dollar doesn’t go as far as it used to.

In reality, another thing has diminished in value. I speak of the promises we make to one another. I’m disappointed when athletes sign contract then become dissatisfied and want more money. On the other side of the coin, business sometimes cuts corners in dealing with their workers. As our world becomes more challenging, we have to work together to assure the next generation the same standard of life we have enjoyed. Government, business and labor will have to work together to make this wish a reality.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

You are quite right about the value of a promise these days...the phrase "I promise" has come to mean "I really really mean it" as opposed to "I give you my word of honor."

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home