Monday, January 30, 2006

Good-bye Football!

Yesterday, after twenty-one Sundays of football, I encountered my first Sunday without football during this winter season. I enjoy football and look forward to each week’s games; but I must admit, I survived beautifully. I do not seek or deserve commendation for this, but merely state the fact to make a point.

Some years ago, during one of the many work stoppages when the greedy owners and the equally greedy players couldn’t decide how to share the financial pie, I listened to sports talk shows on the radio. I was amazed at the number of people who couldn’t seem to get along emotionally without their games. I couldn’t sympathize with this pathetic group; in fact, I found it refreshing to find other activities to enjoy. I wanted to suggest to this group a trip to the local library. One could spend a lifetime enjoying the books and recordings there; or, how about a trip to a museum. Again, there is much to learn and enjoy. I would tell this group that although I follow baseball and football avidly, I think our values are out of kilter regarding the financial rewards for these games. There is no simple answer; certainly that answer won’t come from government. It will come from each of us. (me included) We will have to recognize student and teacher achievements as well as the long pass that scores the winning touch down.

Having said all this, I wonder who will win the Super Bowl on Sunday?

4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Rollie, I'm taking the Steelers by a touchdown.

7:46 AM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

Dave, both teams appear likeable; it's hard for me to select a winner. I hope Seattle can make a good game of it.

7:03 PM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

Bud Pundit, you caused me to look up the word "facsimile." Thanks for your thought provoking addition to my blog.

7:07 PM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

Barbo: Wow! ten points; that's a lot. I'll take that bet, but will only risk a quarter.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home