Thursday, December 28, 2006

New year greetings!

Once when I wished a happy birthday to a friend, my friend replied: I don’t pay much attention to it. It’s just another day!” I said no more about it to my friend, but I really don’t agree with that point of view. I think it’s good for us, as individuals and as a society, to observe special days in the year. A birthday or new year’s day or any other special occasion we observe, offers us an opportunity to reflect back and look forward. In some cases, it allows us to celebrate; although new year’s eve for me is a good time to be home enjoying family. I have no problem with celebrations; in fact, I love to get together with friends. I just find that ringing in the new year with a group of strangers, some of whom are not quite coherent, is not for me. Besides the new year, our Easter, Christmas and national celebrations are important. Each of them offers us a unique opportunity to celebrate and reflect; either alone, or with a group.

No matter how you celebrate it, or if you just leave it alone, I wish you a happy healthy new year. May we find a just and lasting peace in 2007!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home