Sunday, April 08, 2007

What's wrong with silence?

Tell me. What’s wrong with a little silence? First, let me explain that I’m a real audio guy. We have many devices around our house telling us the time, the temperature, (in doors and out) and my weight just to mention a few. Even our caller ID announces the phone number of an incoming caller. All these things I really appreciate.

There is however, a place in the world for beautiful silence. It’s so nice to take a walk and enjoy our great spring weather. I prefer that our walk not be invaded by loud music from passing cars. How about the restaurant where we go for good food and pleasant conversation? Music at a softer level can actually aid in relaxation and conversation. As the volume of the music goes up however, sometimes it’s necessary to chat less.

Even our shopping experience has been challenged. In many cases, music has ceased to be the treat the composer intended, and has become a real invasion.
To sum up, while I love audio and have a great passion for music, there is something to be said for (as the song writer says) The Sound of Silence.

4 Comments:

Blogger jangram said...

Hi Rollie,
Yes, I agree silence is wonderful, except when people are singing Happy Birthday to you. I know you enjoy that and I hope you enjoy your Happy Day tomorrow. If I were there I would bake you a lemon jello cake, so I guess you have to pretend.

Enjoy your birthday.

2:31 PM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

Hi Jangram: Thanks for the birthday greeting. I remember well the cake you baked for me. It's easy to remember as it was so good! Thanks again.

7:21 PM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:24 PM  
Blogger JollyRollie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home