Sunday, April 29, 2007

What’s the difference between a salesman and an order taker? This is not the first part of a riddle; instead, it’s a thought that ran through my mind during a recent shopping trip.

I was seeking information regarding some electronic equipment. We asked the employee on duty to show us the equipment. After a few tries, he confessed that he really didn’t know much about this product. It was suggested that we consult the web site where we could get all sorts of information. I appreciated the candor the staff member exhibited, but was disappointed in his apparent lack of interest in making a sale. Evidently, in an effort to keep prices low, companies are hiring order takers rather than knowledgeable sales people to keep prices down. We, the shopping public, have become so enamored with finding bargains, that we have driven many good sales people out of the market place. While I love bargains, I really appreciate dedicated sales people and good service after the sale even more.

I am in no way complaining about the current shopping climate; rather, I am making commentary on the present situation. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger I.F. said...

Harrumph Harrumph! I couldn't agree with you more. Just the other day I went to the five and dime to buy some knee socks. Not only were there no knee socks, but the entire store was changed. Now they're calling it a Starbucks and they're selling magic beans or something. I'm not sure.
Here is another example. A week ago, I sent a telegram to the filling station. Need the sidewalls rotated on the DeSoto STOP Please reply with price quote STOP
I am STILL awaiting their reply. What is this world coming to?

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home